Call for travel grants
Invitation to submit applications for travel grants and awards.
In order to further the policy of developing and maintaining expertise in the radiation protection research community, CONCERT is offering a total of 10,000 € per year for travel awards to junior scientists. Support can be given for participation in a conference, a course or for an exchange visit to a laboratory, where this can be shown to be of value for increasing the applicant’s involvement and knowledge/skills in current European research in radiation protection.
There are 4 application deadlines per year:
- 31 March,
- 30 June,
- 30 September,
- 31 December.
After each deadline a max sum of 2,500€ will be paid out to the top applicants. The maximal level of support per applicant is 625€. The decision about support will be made within 15 days after the nearest application deadline. Please see the text below for more details.
Rules for applicants
Who is eligible?
Researchers or PhD students working in the broad field of radiation research including biology, chemistry, physics and medicine. The support is not paid to BSc or MSc students. An eligible person must be affiliated to an institution within the European Union or an associated country as governed by Article 5 Regulation (EURATOM) 1314/2013 (i.e. currently Switzerland and Ukraine).
The support is only granted:
- To scientists who are not older than 35 years.
- For travel outside the country of residence.
- To cover travel expenses, lodging and conference fees. A budget must be included in an application.
- Once to a person, meaning that a person cannot apply for support twice.
- For a trip that will take place within 9 months after the application deadline.
An application must contain:
- A motivation letter explaining how the applicant will benefit in terms of the aim of the programme.
- A CV.
- A letter of support from the head of the unit.
- An abstract if the applicant is applying for a conference travel support. Notice that no support will be given for passive conference attendance.
- An invitation letter with motivation if the applicant is applying for travel support to carry out an exchange visit.
- A course programme and letter of acceptance if the applicant is applying for travel support to participate in a course.
- A budget containing details of anticipated costs.
Submission and evaluation procedure
The complete application should be sent by mail to andrzej [dot] wojcik [at] su [dot] se (Andrzej Wojcik) with a copy to concert [dot] training [at] unipv [dot] it. The decision about support will be made within 15 days after the nearest application deadline. The time of application in relation to the deadline has no influence on the evaluation outcome. The applications will be evaluated by the Education and Training Committee (ETC) consisting of the five task leaders of CONCERT WP7. A recommendation for funding will be based on simple majority, with at least three evaluators participating in the evaluation. The following evaluation criteria and ranking will be applied:
- - Relevance to radiation protection research: 1 (least) – 10 (most).
- - Scientific quality of the abstract or plan of visit: 1 (least) – 10 (most).
- - Potential benefit to the education of the applicant: 1 (least) – 10 (most).
- - A threshold of 50% will apply.